Friday, January 13, 2017

Heater Box

This is the heater box after being pulled from under the dashboard. The heater blower motor had the following code and date marking

Blower motor C0DF-18527-A
Date OCT 6 1964




The plenum practically crushed when touched. This is factory installed cardboard type plenum. The core has been repaired or replaced, obviously by Dota Bros Service Station, Wilbur Avenue, Phillipsburg, NewJersey (childhood home town of Jayne Mansfield). The core seems to be good so thanks for a job well done, Bros!






The core seemed to be in good shape but otherwise the box was very dirty and all the gaskets were eroded. The box (which is surprisingly expensive as a reproduction) also needed some glass-fiber patching and new hinges for the fresh air door. Once painted it was set aside for a while until my order for NPD included the necessary parts to fulfill the reconditioning. The heater operating panel got some cleaning, lubrication and polishing and here are the final results.





It's been three years passing since I bought this car. It seems like the restoration will take more time, effort than what I expected back then. So far I have been able to mostly restore it with the parts supplied along with the vehicle or parts obtained from local resellers. A couple of weeks ago I placed my first order to NPD because I needed parts that were not available off the shelf from any local. But now I have done all that can be done without buying more and more parts. The big spending is needed for motor, interior and the paint job. 

As the USD is strong against EUR the prices are now higher to me that during the restoration of Destiny some 8 years ago. With the latest order, including UPS freight costs, customs and taxes, the final price for the delivery is 1.5 times the USD price in EUR, This means that an order of goods worth $1000 in the NPD catalogue will cost me €1500 delivered to my door. It is crazy but the local sellers tend to have 1.6 - 1.8 times the pricing. So it is cheaper to place a direct order and it is fun to track the packages as well. Here is the latest route from NPD to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment