|Listing rod and the rod in frame it attaches to|
|The old foam being test fit|
The listing rods were inserted in the listing channels that are sewed in the seat skins. I decided to use additional steel wires for pulling the skin downwards from the back of the seat after that I noticed that the hog ring pliers and hog rings that I am using are too clumsy (in addition to my clumsy fingers) to operate from the top side only. Now I was able to push the wires through the seat and pull the the listing rods and channels deep to the openings in the seat. Then I checked the position of the skin one more time. With that done, I used my left hand to push the listing rod even further until I was able to feel the bottom in the opening. Then, using my right hand, I clamped the hog rings from the bottom side of the seat. The professionals probably do the clamping from the top side, by just pushing the pliers until they reach the bottom, but for my clumsy hands this worked for me better.
I started with the lengthwise rods (horizontal in the above pic). After adding the foam for the hump I moved forward with the listing rods in that area. I added some padding to the crossing area where the hump meets the upward area in the center of the seat as well as to the front top of the hump.
|Listing rod in the channel|
|Additional steel wires|
|Pulling the channel|
|Secured for checking the fit|
|Secured for checking the hump|
|Skin attached with listing rods only|
It really was a relief too see that after hitting the hog rings to the listing rods the skin looked to be correctly positioned and straight. After adding some padding in the hump area, I decided to start with the rear half of the skin. Front side would be more visible and therefore more important to get straight but I figured that the rear area is smaller and will be less flexible to work. Starting from the center I moved towards the sides. Next thing was to repeat the same on the front side with exception that I left the curved hump edge area for last.
|Starting from the rear center|
|Sides and hump front left to do|
Once the rear and front were done, I continued with the sides by hitting a couple of rings then moving to the other side. Finally, I finished with the hump front edge and the job was almost done. What still needed to be done was the lengthwise rod (where the listing rod attaches to) to be pulled and secured to the seat springs.
|Sides closing the corner|
|Padding added to the front of the hump|
|There is no enforcement in the skin in the hump area.|
Therefore it is secured very tenderly.
|Listing rods secured to springs|
|Bottom side finished view|
After all this was not at all so demanding task that I expected. Should I be starting now, I would get me a hold of better hog ring pliers than the ones I have. They are more for building fences than upholstery and interiors. And to make the work easier, a couple of extra hands would be nice to have with you. But after all, I am quite happy with the end result. So let's continue with the front seats.