Sunday, April 17, 2016

52nd Anniversary paint job

I am aiming for having the car rolling before the 1st May because that's the date I've set for starting my 'summer vacation' of the hobby and clearing the garage for Destiny. I scheduled an April weekend for heavy painting as my wife would be on a business trip and not complaining the odors of reducers and stuff.

I chose to use epoxy primer (Tikkurila GPL-S primer) which I've worked with earlier and some polyurethane top coat (Tikkurila Temadur 50) for the engine bay and the underside of the floors. Between the layers some polyurethane seam sealer (Sika and Dinitrol)  was applied. This time the top coat followed the primer so soon that I avoided sanding the surfaces between the layers. 

Friday





Saturday




Sunday







The following weekend the weather was sunny and warm (and wife home again) so a good door-wide-open ventilation could be applied when giving the floor a good cot of epoxy in the morning and a top coating in the afternoon after the epoxy had cured long enough.  By the 52nd Anniversary of Mustang the project looked like this.

Next Saturday







I love my sub-frame connectors

Rear frame rail

A shot of my paint booth. My spray gun is a budget model which cost 29,90 EUR when I bought it years ago. Works fine, though, and easy to disassemble for cleaning. The air compressor is also something you could call 'a beginner's model' but manages to produce enough air for the spray gun needs. 


Professional level paint shop, isn't it.




No comments:

Post a Comment